BERTHING « it is more of art than science… »
We are all used to see ships berthed alongside quay or docks. We very seldom stop to appreciate the efforts put in behind it
Berthing of vessel requires very specialized skills. Pilot has to take in account of various forces, external & internal which are variable to varying degrees as well as the vessel’s controls available to him.
Various factors are taken into account and amongst those included following but not limited to;
- Size: A large vessel will be sluggish to turn. Her stopping distance will be considerably large as well as time taken to pick up speed.
- Displacement of vessel: Displacement means total weight of the vessel. It is the total volume occupied by underwater part of vessel multiplied by the density of water. Larger the displacement greater will be the force required to move or stop it.
- Wind speeds and direction: Exposed part of vessel acts like a sail. Off shore wind with a speed of 10 knots creates strong adverse wind force which needs to be controlled by using more tugs or bow/stern thrusters. On shore wind though will assist in berthing but strong on shore wind may push the vessel hard to berth causing damage.
- Current: Current affects the maneuverability of the vessel. In tidal port with currents, berths are designed in such a way that current will be flowing at 15 to 30 degree to the berth. Design berthing velocity for ship is normally 0.2 m/second.
Considering these factors, our engineering office is able to design & dimension foam filled fenders fitting to customers’ berthing purposes.
VEOS Marine & Offshore’s products could be found on projects in relation to :
- Extension & renovation of quaysides of Industrial harbour, naval base, marina & ship to ship.
- Set up of port areas dedicated to launching the foundations of floating wind turbines,
- port services such as marine pilot station, boatage, rescue team, Oil&Gas crew transfer vessel, offshore wind service CTV vessel, customs office & maritime affairs vessels,
- Ferries & cruise terminals
Products list :
- Quayside foam fenders
- Donut rotative fenders
- Onboard fenders
- Pneumatic fenders
- Rubber fenders
- Boat fender